The Martians have invaded, time to return the favor!

The Martians have invaded, time to return the favor!

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Fun With Blazing Skies


Bill's Ace Aircraft.......Lone Star One



Count Gianni Caproni di Taliedo designed many wonderful aircraft and even owned or sat on the boards of of some 20 of Italy's best known aircraft companies in the 20s and 30s.

In 1932 Caproni financed and built this amazing ducted-fan flying barrel that was designed by the controversial Italian designer Luigi Stipa.

This- ugliest of all airplanes- bizarre and ungainly are a couple more good descriptions- was used to investigate the characteristics of the 'Ducted-Fan propulsion unit in conjunction with the 'Hollow-Chord fuselage.

www.fiddlersgreen.net/.../flying-barrel.php

8 comments:

Don M said...

Now that was cruel and unusual!
Took me a few seconds to write
this as I couldn't breath! LOL

Joe said...

Hey he should like the paint job..;-P

La Coloniale said...

LOL!!! Looks like a Flying BEER CAN!!! But, Bill will like the
paint scheme ;-)

Paul O'G said...

Wicked! It looks like something out of "Crimson Skies".

I also liked the second one, the fighter thant was unarmed becasue te designers didnt want to spoil the sleek chassis lines with ugly weapons!

Don M said...

Tas said...
I also liked the second one, the fighter that was unarmed because the designers didn't want to spoil the sleek chassis lines with ugly weapons!

Makes you wonder if they were in the
right line of work! On question I have, where are the clean lines on that beasti? lol

Bill said...

Alright you bas...errr,
esteemed gentlemen, lol!
I do like the paint job,
and I guess it is no worse
than the dozen or so Soviet Polikarpov I-15 and
I-16s I own ;-)

Of course you do know I'll
be researching appropriate
aircraft for YOU all also...)

Don M said...

Bill said...

Of course you do know I'll
be researching appropriate
aircraft for YOU all also...)


This ought to be good, lol.
I can hardly wait!!!

Joe said...

Don M said...
This ought to be good, lol.
I can hardly wait!!!

They were pretty good actually!